This summer I had decided to forgo the way I had been lesson planning for the past 12 years. I don't know why. Maybe I was bored or just needed a fresh way of looking at what I was doing. Either way, I did my research and came to a decision. The only thing I had to stick with was having a letter of the week. During our first semester (August-December) we have a letter every two weeks, then after the new year switch to every week. My decision was to use a different theme each week to correspond with each letter. I can't tell you how much easier it has been to plan...I'm already into mid October! I try to keep activities pretty general and then intensify if needed to accommodate different abilities from the children.
The one thing I tried to research was a simple lesson planning template. Nope. Not happening. So, I made my own. Here is what I came up with: